Electa Sabin's ancestors are descended from John Billington who came over on the Mayflower in 1620 with the Pilgrims. John Billington and his family at the time of the sailing of the Mayflower were not Pilgrims. I'm not sure why he and his family were included on the passenger list and crossed the Atlantic Ocean, perhaps the folks in England were tired of him and his kin and thought the New World would be a better place for them. Certainly William Bradford in his history of Plymouth Colony written about 1650-1660, had no kind words for John Billington and his wife and two sons.
Anecdotally I recall on the crossing, the two sons, Francis and perhaps the other son was called John, were playing on the boat around the gun powder and somehow lit a fire. Luckily others put out the fire or else there would not have been a Pilgrim landing at Plymouth Rock in 1620, thank you Billingtons! Once the landing had been made, again, one of the sons got lost in the woods and fortunately Native Americans found them and returned them to their loving parents. John Billington in 1630 got into an argument with a friend and being angry went to see the friend with a gun and shot the person dead. John Billington committed the first murder in Plymouth Colony. He was subsequently hung that year and became the first executed person in Plymouth Colony. Lastly, his widow, Elinor, ran afoul of common law practice in the colony and spent some time in the public stocks. You may click here to read William Bradford's "History of Plymouth Colony" and read more about the Black Sheep, John Billington.
Descendants of John Billington
Generation No. 1
1. JOHN1 BILLINGTON was born Abt. 1580 in England, and died September 1630 in Plymouth Colony, Massachusetts. He married ELINOR Abt. 1604. She was born Abt. 1580 in England, and died Aft. 02 March 1641/42 in Plymouth Colony, Massachusetts.
Child of JOHN BILLINGTON and ELINOR is:
2. i. FRANCIS2 BILLINGTON, b. Abt. 1606, England; d. 1684, Middleboro, Massachusetts.
Generation No. 2
2. FRANCIS2 BILLINGTON (JOHN1) was born Abt. 1606 in England, and died 1684 in Middleboro, Massachusetts. He married CHRISTIAN PENN EATON July 1634 in Plymouth Colony, Massachusetts. She was born 1607, and died 1684.
Child of FRANCIS BILLINGTON and CHRISTIAN EATON is:
3. i. MARY3 BILLINGTON, b. 1640; d. Aft. 28 June 1717.
Generation No. 3
3. MARY3 BILLINGTON (FRANCIS2, JOHN1) was born 1640, and died Aft. 28 June 1717. She married SAMUEL SABIN, SR., son of WILLIAM SABIN and MARY WRIGHT. He was born 1640, and died 23 September 1699.
Child of MARY BILLINGTON and SAMUEL SABIN is:
4. i. ISRAEL4 SABIN, b. 08 June 1673; d. Aft. 1718.
Generation No. 4
4. ISRAEL4 SABIN (MARY3 BILLINGTON, FRANCIS2, JOHN1) was born 08 June 1673, and died Aft. 1718. He married MARY ORMSBY, daughter of JOHN ORMSBY and GRACE MARTIN.
Child of ISRAEL SABIN and MARY ORMSBY is:
5. i. JOSIAH5 SABIN, b. 1705; d. 1752.
Generation No. 5
5. JOSIAH5 SABIN (ISRAEL4, MARY3 BILLINGTON, FRANCIS2, JOHN1) was born 1705, and died 1752. He married MARY GAY.
Child of JOSIAH SABIN and MARY GAY is:
6. i. ISRAEL6 SABIN, b. 1730; d. 1761.
Generation No. 6
6. ISRAEL6 SABIN (JOSIAH5, ISRAEL4, MARY3 BILLINGTON, FRANCIS2, JOHN1) was born 1730, and died 1761. He married AVIS BENNETT, daughter of WILLIAM BENNETT and ELIZABETH GREEN.
Child of ISRAEL SABIN and AVIS BENNETT is:
7. i. ISRAEL7 SABIN, b. 1752; d. 1838.
Generation No. 7
7. ISRAEL7 SABIN (ISRAEL6, JOSIAH5, ISRAEL4, MARY3 BILLINGTON, FRANCIS2, JOHN1) was born 1752, and died 1838. He married HANNAH 1786. She died 1812.
Child of ISRAEL SABIN and HANNAH is:
8. i. STEPHEN8 SABIN, b. 1790, Connecticut; d. 01 January 1852, Hillsdale, Hillsdale Cty, Michigan.
Generation No. 8
8. STEPHEN8 SABIN (ISRAEL7, ISRAEL6, JOSIAH5, ISRAEL4, MARY3 BILLINGTON, FRANCIS2, JOHN1) was born 1790 in Connecticut, and died 01 January 1852 in Hillsdale, Hillsdale Cty, Michigan. He married HANNAH WOOD 17 November 1810 in Macedon, Wayne County, New York, daughter of LEVI WOOD and BETHANY FULLER. She was born 24 September 1789, and died 27 August 1858 in Hillsdale, Hillsdale Cty, Michigan.
Notes for STEPHEN SABIN:
Stephen Sabin is descended from John and Elinor Billington who crossed to Plimouth, Massachusetts in 1620 on the Mayflower.
Child of STEPHEN SABIN and HANNAH WOOD is:
9. i. ELECTA9 SABIN, b. 25 May 1815, Ontario County, New York; d. 01 July 1897, Lorain County, Ohio.
Generation No. 9
9. ELECTA9 SABIN (STEPHEN8, ISRAEL7, ISRAEL6, JOSIAH5, ISRAEL4, MARY3 BILLINGTON, FRANCIS2, JOHN1) was born 25 May 1815 in Ontario County, New York, and died 01 July 1897 in Lorain County, Ohio. She married GAIN ROBINSON HACKETT 13 September 1832 in Lorain County, Ohio, son of GEORGE HACKETT and MERCY FULLER. He was born 13 August 1810 in Manchester, Ontario County, New York, and died 16 March 1855 in Lorain County, Ohio.
Children of ELECTA SABIN and GAIN HACKETT are:
i. ZEBINA10 HACKETT.
10. ii. MARY C. HACKETT, b. 26 August 1836, Lorain County, Ohio; d. 12 May 1908, Columbia Hills Corner Cemetery, Lorain County, Ohio.
11. iii. LAFRANCIS ELMER HACKETT, b. 22 June 1839, Lorain County, Ohio; d. 19 June 1920, Wheeler, Gratiot County, Michigan.
iv. STEPHAN HACKETT, d. 31 May 1845, Westview, Old Baker, Hoadley, Columbia Twp, Lorain Cty, Ohio.
12. v. EMILY H. HACKETT, b. Abt. 1847, Lorain County, Ohio; d. Bet. 1895 - 1912, Possibly St. Joseph, Michigan (unknown if City or County).
vi. SARAH L. HACKETT, b. Abt. 1849; d. 06 March 1865, 16y, Westview, Old Baker, Hoadley, Columbia Twp, Lorian Cty, Ohio.
vii. LAURA HACKETT.